40 Hours on Maryvana

You may also like...

21 Responses

1. Well, what would you like to know?

2. Anonymous says:

i really liked your report, great news for me that there are ships indeed, are there any from cameroon as well??
    thanks for reply
    ulli from austria
    kalahari1955@yahoo.com

3. Thanks!

Marivana is based in Nigeria, I am not aware of any ships from Douala, Cameroon but the best bet is always to go down to the harbour and ask around. The harbour there is quite big and there are many cargo ships in the area, so chances are that you will find one that will take you against some payment. Just bring enough food and water 🙂

4. Anonymous says:

how did you get the visa for sao tome in gabun? thought i had to get it via the embassy in brussels???

Will doing the same in september, so any other good suggestions?

greets from berlin

dario

5. You can get a visa within 3 hours at the Sao Tome & Principe embassy in Libreville (it is on the mai road, only 500 meters from the harbour). They're very friendly there. It costs 20 dollars extra to get it the same day, you will otherwise get it the following day.

6. Anonymous says:

thx for that info, but what is the "normal" price for the visa -> just want to see if its cheaper to get one in libreville than here in europe…
    do you have a recom. for a nice budget hotel in libreville? just found the le meridian 🙁

good luck to you what ever you´re doing 😉 and thx for all

cheers

dario

7. The visa was 20 or 40 dollars (I can't remember) and another 20 for the express. There are quite a few small and cozy budget hotels in Quartier Louis on the road called Rue Pierre Barro. You also have a fair amount of bars, clubs and restaurants in that area. It's nicer than downtown. There is also a pretty inexpensive Chinese hotel that seemed nice and clean. It's near the casino.

8. F.Marouf says:

Nice one! Am in Gabon right now and looking over the Atalantic towards the island far away, I'll get there somehow! Great little project you have going there, have you counted South Soudan? :p

9. The thought of flight has melted me, I am less solid than liquid, then Cheap Flights to Douala is going up and going invisible like steam.

10. “Foreign lands never yield their secrets to a traveller. The best they offer are tantalising snippets, just enough to inflame the imagination. The secrets they do reveal are your own – the ones you have kept from yourself. And this is reason enough to travel, to leave home.

11. I have indeed! I visited South Sudan in April. 176 down, 22 countries to go…

🙂

12. Anonymous says:

What a nasty comment. He specified at the beginning of the article that it was going to be about the length and uncertainty of the trip, calm yourself and find something constructive to say.

As someone who has traveled internationally before, although not even in the same league as this guy, when you decide to take side trips you sometimes feel you are taking your own life into your hands.

AJ/New Orleans, LA

13. Albin Ganic says:

Nice article, have you considered going to Bosnia and Herzegovina? Or if you already did, have you written anything on it?

14. Anonymous says:

Anonymous from Seattle — What part of this is narcissistic, and how much more of a complete idiot could you possibly be? It takes zero effort and intelligence for an anonymous poster to be mean and arrogant, so good work.

15. Hi Albin,

I have been there twice, but not written anything about it yet. It will come…

16. Squirrle says:

This makes me want to try traveling by Cargo ship… that could be interesting. Do you think I'd be able to leave the US by hitching a ride on a cargo ship?

17. You certainly can as long as you sort out the paperwork in the port of departure first. Good luck and keep me posted 🙂

18. FF says:

Sao Tome is the nicest travel destination I have yet seen – and I've seen quite a few – of course nowhere in the league of Gunnar. 🙂
    Of course, the cargo ship option is quite an experience in itself, but one to be avoided whenever possible, unless you have plenty of time on your hands. The time you waste with it is much better spent exploring the beaches of Principe island. 🙂
    Flying via Lisbon and Cabo Verde (with TAP Portugal and then Angola Airlines) is actually not that difficult, especially for Europeans, and neither horribly expensive. (TAP's direct Lisbon-Sao Tomé flight IS very expensive.). This route is done once a week, with an overnighter in Praia, not bad in itself. And Sao Tomé – and especially Principe!!! – is definitely worth it!

19. Anonymous says:

To eVisaST
    ENTRANCE AUTHORIZATION FORM) (STEP 1/4)
    Your request will be validated only after completion of step 3. You will receive an automatic confirmation email by SMF, indicating the processing of your request.

20. Anonymous says:

Nice–I went to Sao Tome in 2008 but flew on a Gabon airline. I don't recall there being any problem with that particular flight. We also did a flight between islands from Sao Tome to Principe and back which was fine.

We camped at the top of one of the highest mountains in Sao Tome and I have a nice souvenir spider bite (with a large permanently dead spot on my leg) to remember my trip. We were on this mountaintop the night that Obama was elected and didn't hear the results until a day later.

21. Theresa W. says:

I love this story. Felt like I was there, instead of sitting at a desk in front of a computer. How hungry were you by the end?!